Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Shrimp,Crawfish,Gumbo and Lemons Daily Oil Painting

Shrimp, Crawfish, Gumbo and Lemons......20x24 Oil on Canvas......$450(sold)

This is the one I was working on when the lights went out the Friday before we left for Denver. In a show of how much more dedicated I am nowadays...I ran miles of extension cord from the generator on Saturday and "finished" this one even though I had to pack for our trip and do a million other things. When I got back and looked at it in the light of day there were a few things that needed fixin' , as we say in the South. So here it is after a little freshening up.
I am really proud that I have changed my way of thinking about painting. Before I would have blown it off in a heartbeat because conditions were less than ideal. But instead, I really like this one, my favorite one in a while for a lot of technical reasons.
While in Denver I got to attend the Inspiring Impressionism exhibit at the Denver Art Museum. Very inspiring to say the least. Is it just me or do other artists do this....I look at a painting by a really famous artist and I think "wow, if that was my painting I would never have left that scratchy part, or that thin part, or whatever". I realize that I need to walk away long before I do sometimes.

3 comments:

Terry said...

This one's a hit, Lorrie! Great color, composition and form - the shrimpies and lemons have great dimension....

Jeff Mahorney said...

Yeah this really is a gem. It's very well done. I love looking at the larger version. You handled the amount of detail and brushstrokes just right.

FCP said...

Very nice, Lorrie!