Friday, October 21, 2011

Big news!......Empty Easel and a workshop


Well a lot of crazy things happened all at once and this tomato sort of became the poster child for my art. 

First of all, I have an article being published today on the Empty Easel art site.  I have subscribed to EE for quite a while now.  It is a great artist's resource and has grown tremendously over the last few years.  A couple of weeks ago they published an "art opinion" that I strongly disagreed with, so I wrote a response and sent it in.  You can read both my article and the orginal one that I responded to by going here.  This tomato's cousins (from my blog post on 10/11) are featured in the article along with some pears.

Next, I have, as mentioned in the article, been asked to teach my first workshop.  I am very excited.  It will be April 19 & 20, 2012 at the Eastern Shore Arts Center in Fairhope, Alabama.  They are in the process of putting together the brochure for the spring so once I have definite info for how to sign up I will post it here.  This tomato will be the featured art for my ad in the brochure.

Lastly, I will be attending the Peter Anderson Festival in Ocean Springs, MS on November 5 and 6.  This is an amazing festival that is in it's 33rd year.  This is the first year that I have run an ad in the festival handout that is put together by Southern Living Magazine.  You guessed it...my ad features the one and only bold tomato.  It is a very striking ad I have to say.

Well, I am off to Memphis later today for the River Arts Festival.  This is going to be a rough one simply because, due to circumstances beyond my control, we are going to be getting up there for set-up very late this evening.  But, that is all part of the process.  It happens that way sometimes in the "glamorous" life of an artist....oh, and YES, I am an artist.....and I wouldn't have it any other way.





12 comments:

Crazy RAvens Studio said...

You are a busy girl. Congratulations on the article and workshop.

Lorrie Drennan said...

No busier than you, my friend! I have seen your sewing projects and your skull folk! Don't think I'm not watching....

Yevgenia Watts said...

Hi Lorrie,

I just read your article on EE and I couldn't agree more. I think that there is a place for art that is not ugly, controversial, provocative, or political. There is a place for art that lifts your spirits and stirs your memories. There is a place for art that is beautiful, like yours.

Good luck with everything!

Yevgenia Watts

P.S. Would you be interested in republishing your article on my blog?

laine lea said...

Lorrie, great article and congrats on all the recent 'happenings'! Enjoy!

Lisa Plemmons Harrison Caddel said...

I read you article on Empty Easel, well put. I agree that there are so many ways to be an artist, all can be embraced as valid. Congratulations on all your success!

Bo Hammar said...

You have the right attitude! To see the smiles on peoples faces when they see your work is the greatest reward as an artist, one money can't buy. I am teaching my first class this winter and my goal is to open the minds of my students, make them understand that they are the only ones able to paint what's in their minds and hearts. Keep up the good work, no one else can do it the way you do it!

Martha Kisling said...

Hi Lorrie - I just read your article on EE and could not agree more. I think alot of artists spend too much time being judgmental about what is considered 'art' instead of just being supportive. I think the creative process is what is most important in whatever form it takes. I love your positive attitude and your beautiful art thanks!

Leenie said...

Loved your EE article---and your work. KEEP ON PAINTING!

Janis Nussbaum Senungetuk said...

Just read your article on EE and I agree completely! The greatest gift is the appreciation of your work, even if it's not purchased. I wish you well on your further adventures. I think you'll make a wonderful teacher because the joy you experience creating comes through very clearly in your work.
If you have a spare moment, please check my work out on Blogspot. It's at:http://bit.ly/s72746.
You go girl!
Janis

Anonymous said...

Loved your opinion and love your work.

Barb Stainman said...

Really enjoyed your article! Thanks for the encouraging words. Your tomatoes DO make me smile.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

fantastic about the workshop and congratulations on moving up to teaching.
I am excited to teach in Naples this winter.
Love being an artist!!
These bottles are beautiful, Lorrie.