Friday, September 27, 2013

Poppies.....oil painting......#27 of 30 paintings in 30 days...

 
18x36......oil painting.....$775
 
I have been much more comfortable painting flowers since my workshop with Dreama Tolle Perry this summer.  I will have to say, I am just more comfortable painting....period.  It's like anything else, the more you do it the more comfortable you are. 
 
Every now and then I go back to paint a subject that I have painted in the past when I was first learning how to use oil paints.  This happened recently with  a bell pepper.  I remember the first time I painted one....all the little dips and shadows around the top....and getting the stem in there and looking like it stuck out.  It seemed like a foreign language and I was just muttering a few phrases here and there.
 
But just recently I had a commission to do three small paintings of a red, green and gold bell pepper.  It was so much easier this time and I realized that I have been getting better over time.  I wouldn't say that I am "fluent" yet, still lots more to learn and more discipline to apply, but I am at least "conversational".  

No comments: