Monday, August 1, 2016

New Beginnings....Art Inspiration


Hello folks.  It's time for new beginnings.  I have come to an impasse in my art career.

I looked up impasse do be sure I was using the correct word and spelling. (don't want to appear ignorant on the internet and all)  One of the examples of how to use it in a sentence was...

"She had come to an impasse in her career".

I thinks it's a sign.  It could have said "He".  It didn't. It used almost the exact words I had used.

 It was meant for me.

Here's the deal...I have sort of outgrown my own style.  I want to improve, progress, and expand my way of painting.  But I don't want to change it too much, because there are those that like my style. (and I sincerely love each and every one of you!)

But I don't want to stagnate.  I want to continue to loosen up, which has always been one of my goals. And I want to incorporate some new colors or more of some of the colors that I already use.  I have some color schemes in my mind, but when I start to paint I fall back on the same predictable color groups that I have used in the past.

I see pieces that are painted by others that are of the style or "looseness" that I want to incorporate.  And I see paintings that use the colors that I have in my mind.  But when I try to emulate these other artists the work comes out too literal.  It looks too much like their work and not MY work.

I want to break out of my mold a little....but not too much.

I want to borrow ideas from other artists...but not too much.

So after much thought and consultation with others, here's what I have decided to do.

I am reading a book called the War of Art by Steven Pressfield.  It addresses the fine art of procrastination and how to avoid it in a creative career.  I am thoroughly enjoying this book.  Thanks Ellen Langford.

I have also enrolled in an online program by artist Flora Bowley.  It is called Bloom True Boot Camp. Her art is amazing, but what most interests me is her process and approach to creating art.  It is a 30-day program and I plan to post what I am doing and getting from this process.

You may find it interesting to see the inner struggles that some of us artists go through.  But even if you aren't into angst, hopefully some interesting art will happen along the way.

Here's to new beginnings!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean... YOUR art is AMAZING! I am just attempting my first oil painting and, while searching online about HOW to paint, I found your absolutely GORGEOUS paintings. I am INSPIRED and in TOTAL AWE! Just WOW! Your color is so brilliant, so vivid, so lively. So, in my first and feeble attempt to copy a master... I chose you. Last night, I tried to mix some color to paint a pear still like yours, but failed miserably. All my colors became muddy and the painting was a mess. Not everyone can do what you do -- I proved that! I love your 30 paintings in 30 days -- I've done something similar with etegami, simple Japanese postcard paintings -- love that kind of challenge. My hat is off to you and your beautiful art! Keep up the good work and learn from Flora, but don't lose your style! YOURS is truly WONDERFUL!

Lorrie Drennan said...

Dear Lucky Lynn Cooper, The power of a positive word is an amazing thing! I cannot thank you enough for your wonderful comment and encouragement. If you give of yourself to others like this all the time, you must live a wonderful life. Keep plugging on the painting thing. It just takes doing it over and over to make it happen. You are your own worst critic, always. Please contact me by email so we can keep in touch. And remember......

"you don't have to be great to begin, but you have to begin in order to be great."