Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Birth of an Oil Painting...WIP


I am going out on a limb here by letting everyone in on this project from the very beginning.  I have just received the go-ahead for this commissioned painting.  This is the photograph that I will be working from.  I thought I would share the on-going process with the future owner (he lives in Missouri and I live in Mississippi, so he and his wife can't just drop in to check on the progress).  Since I was going to be sharing it with him, I thought I might as well share it with my blog friends as well.

This started as a request, back before Christmas, by my former client (who found me through Google, by the way) for a 24 x 24 painting featuring salt & pepper shakers.  It evolved over many emails and photos into the composition that you see above. 

I had the components all gathered and took MANY photos of them in all sorts of arrangements and none of them suited me.  I just could not achieve the balance that I was looking for.  Then yesterday I moved my light source slightly forward and BINGO!  Those two gorgeous shadows were thrown on the back and harmony was achieved!!!!

My shot-gun approach to good composition sometimes takes a while, but I know a good set-up once I see it.  Sometimes you just have to kiss a lot of frogs along the way.

I am off to begin the drawing process...photos of that tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it already...